The LS13 Shotgun (nicknamed "Lucky Strike"), also known as the M13 Semi-Automatic Shotgun, is an ISA weapon that fires a dense cloud of pellets with every shot, as all shotguns do. It is manufactured by the ISA, but is more commonly found in helghast hands.
More often than not, these shotguns are carried by Helghast commandos and assault troopers (who more than likely took them from dead ISA soldiers or had them shipped back by the mercenaries in KZL). In Killzone, this brutal weapon comes with two distinct firing modes: the first will fire a single shotgun shell, while the second will fire two, increasing firepower at the cost of an higher recoil and a slower rate of fire.
The LS13 is one of the most efficient weapons in the game, allowing for multiple kills before requiring a reload. It is lethal at close range, but is also useful at medium range. It is ineffective at long range, leaving the unwary shotgunner exposed to long range weapons.
The weapon is capable of immobilizing almost any opponent, but long reload times will leave its operator vulnerable if chambered ammo is not monitored, and the time it takes to breach a new round every time it's fired also makes the player an easy target. However, the shotgun can be loaded with 8 shells at a time, allowing the operator to get multiple kills before having to reload the weapon. The LS-13 is a very efficient weapon in both campaign and multiplayer in the field of conserving ammunition.
Reloads should be performed from a position of safety outside of combat. Reload time can be greatly reduced if the operator reloads the shotgun before all of the ammunition has been used, e.g., reloading the shotgun when there are 4 or more shells remaining will be much quicker than reloading when there is none.
In the campaign, it is usually wielded by armored Assault Helghast, making them one of the most dangerous enemies in the game.
The Shotgun fires a burst of 20 pellets. If all pellets strike the enemy target, it often results in instant death. In close quarters combat, it is a truly deadly weapon. The 20-pellet burst also allows an interesting statistic of accuracy above 100% in multiplayer.
It appears again in Killzone Mercenary, but it has been somewhat nerfed: now it has 6 shells on the magazine instead of eight, features iron sights and the rate of fire has been slowed down, making every shot count. On the other hand, compared to the other shotguns found in the game, this is the most effective on medium range and does the most damage per shot.
Killzone 2 StatisticsEdit
Location: Found during and after the Salamun District mission.
Power : 9/10 Rate of Fire : 3/10 Reload : 1/10 Range : 3/10 Max Ammo : 24 Multiplayer : Yes (Rifleman, Engineer)
- Magazine Size: 6
- Max Magazines: 4
- Max Rounds: 32
- Round Reload Time: 1.3 sec (this is the time it takes to chamber another round after a single shot)
- Magazine Reload Time: 5.5 sec
- First Appearance: Salamun District: Dushan Tower Courtyard
|Single Player Campaign||Multiplayer Warzone|
|0 - 6||5||0 - 30||10|
|7 - 25||1|
|26 - 40||0.5|
*Each shot contains 20 pellets. Damage is per pellet that strikes target.
The LS13 returns in Killzone 3, although largely unchanged. In the campaign, it is found and generally used by the ISA and Helghast, although rarely.
In multiplayer, the LS13 is used by the Tactician and the starting weapon for the infiltrator. It kills in one hit from short range, but largely diminishes in power over range. It is equipped with a Reflex Sight, although its effects are nulled over its lack of capability over range. Although it has shells on the side, they are unusable.
- The LS13 is reminiscent of the Franchi SPAS-12 and its folding stock.
- Despite being deemed as semi-automatic, the LS13 is pumped after every shot.
- The LS13 has a ridiculous range, but the individual projectiles are so weak that it will barely wound an enemy over long range once they have all spread.
- It is one of the few weapons that can decapitate an enemy.
- In Killzone, pulling both the primary and the secondary modes at the same time will make it shoot three shells at once, making it able to kill several enemies with one shot.
- Oddly enough, in Killzone 2 they seem to eject the shell before being pumped, rather than as it is being pumped.
- This weapon is best used by the Infiltrator class in Killzone 3 multiplayer, when in disguise you can shoot people at their backs for indoor objectives and combat.